Sunday, August 15, 2010

Truck Trouble

Well, I had an enjoyable visit with my old classmates last night, in spite of my truck trying to immolate itself! When I tried to start it to go to the reunion, I got nothing: dead as the proverbial doornail.

While I sat there a moment contemplating the issue, suddenly the electrics came back to life and the radio started to play. Another attempt to start was met with silence, and then I noticed white smoke curling up from under the rear corner of the hood!

Killing everything and opening the hood, I could see the smoke was coming from under the engine, and smelled of melting plastic! The smoke seemed to be diminishing, but when I felt the cables running from the battery, they felt quite warm, so I found an appropriate tool and disconnected the ground cable.

I borrowed Nancy's car to go to the reunion, arriving about a half-hour late. Tomorrow, I'll have to "get out and get under" as the old, old song went, to see if I can locate the source of the smoke and perhaps effect some repair.

First time in ten years and over 150,000 miles the truck has left me stranded.

No comments: